Abingdon’s historic downtown district is a vibrant place with a wide variety of retailers, restaurants, service businesses and non-profits.
Abingdon Main Street is dedicated to making our downtown district a place where people want to shop, dine, stay and play. We support the businesses within our footprint by planning events and activities to draw locals and visitors to downtown, providing marketing advice and support, and acting as a liaison between local merchants and the Town of Abingdon.
Current business owners can take advantage of these opportunities for professional development and workforce training.
- Virginia Jobs Investment Program – customized recruiting and training services, consulting and organizational development
- Virginia Highlands Community College – workforce training, career readiness certifications and more
- Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center – career services, intern placements, undergrad and graduate degrees in partnership with 10 colleges and universities
- People’s Incorporated – a non-profit connecting individuals to employment, new skill training and higher education
- Mount Rogers and New River Valley Workforce Investment Board – facilitates and coordinates workforce initiatives.
For more information on these services, visit GrowAbingdon.com, Abingdon’s economic development website.
New Businesses and Relocating Businesses
If you are considering opening a new business or relocating your business to downtown Abingdon, be sure to check out these incentives and resources.
- Start with this handy guide to starting a business in Abingdon on GrowAbingdon.com
- Abingdon offers local incentives for the Art District Zone and Tourism Zone
- Check out the list of regional and state incentives and tax credits
- Micro Lenders are available to help finance the start or expansion of a business
If you have a specific question about starting a business in Abingdon’s historic downtown, or growing your existing business, call us at (276) 492-2237 or fill out the contact form.